Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Week Before

I was going to LA for work on December 9th.  I went to Bloomingdales the night before in a frantic attempt to get a cool wardrobe together.  The shopping trip was pretty successful, but while I was in the dressing room I noticed painful red marks on my boobs where the under-wire on my bra had pressed into my skin.  "Goddamit," I thought "Are my boobs getting bigger?"  My scale had broken a few weeks before and I was scared that I had gained weight.  I tried to ignore it and prepare for my trip.

Once I landed in LA I was excited for the meetings I had scheduled.  Wednesday was a great day and flowed into a fun evening.  I never sleep very well without my husband, so I didn't think much of it when I woke up the next morning exhausted.  That night I had an important client dinner at Ostaria Mozza.  We ate several courses and drank a bottle of fine wine.  I only had a glass, wanting to stay sharp for the party after dinner.  When we arrived at the party I walked around for a few minutes before getting hit with a wave of nausea.  I put my wine glass down and switched to water.  I spent the rest of the night taking deep breaths and trying to concentrate on not puking on people's shoes.  It's was rough going for a while.  I fell into bed that night and woke up exhausted again.

Friday night, my last night, my boss and I went to a company Christmas party.  I was overcome with repulsion for both the food and alcohol.  I couldn't even hold a drink in my hand without feeling sick.  I wasn't that surprised though- I've always had a sensitive stomach.  I didn't mind not drinking and volunteered to drive home.

I got home Saturday evening and felt like I had flown home from Europe.  I was so tired and grumpy I could barely stay awake.  I slept all the next day and stayed home from work Monday.  I had a sore throat the whole week and woke up every morning feeling completely wiped out.  I thought I had a cold, and that I had been emotionally sapped in LA.  It didn't occur to my until Friday that I might have a little bean growing in my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment